[Standards] NEW: XEP-0224 (Attention)

Sergei Golovan sgolovan at nes.ru
Fri Aug 10 13:12:24 UTC 2007

On 8/10/07, Andreas Monitzer <jig at monitzer.com> wrote:
> On Aug 09, 2007, at 21:55, Sergei Golovan wrote:
>
> >> I think that attention messages should not be sent with a <body/>,
> >> but
> >> should be a standalone message of type='headline', like so:
> >>
> >> <message from='calvin at usrobots.lit/lab'
> >>          to='herbie at usrobots.lit/home'
> >>          type='headline'>
> >>   <attention xmlns='http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/
> >> xep-0224.html#ns'/>
> >> </message>
> >
> > This message looks like <iq/> but <iq/> is better because the
> > recipient may receive result in case of accepted attention or error in
> > case of ignored one. The ability of getting a response even makes
> > disco#info queries unnecessary.
>
> I chose to use <message/> instead of <iq/> because you don't have to
> specify a resource to send the message, and you don't need a reply on
> this one (every <iq/>-message is a potential memory leak, when the
> receiving client doesn't behave properly), because even when the
> client displays the attention grabbing event, you can't know if the
> user has seen/heard it. Is there a serious reason to go to <iq/>?

You're already use <iq/> to determine XEP support. So, I think that
anyway the message should be sent to a full JID.

As for potential memory leak I would say that it's better to leave
this problem to a client developer. There are always clients, which
behave incorrectly. Do you want to completely avoid using <iq/>s?

Cheers!
--
Sergei Golovan