[Standards] NEW: XEP-0224 (Attention)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Aug 10 17:45:49 UTC 2007

Andreas Monitzer wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2007, at 15:30, Sergei Golovan wrote:
>
>> I just want to get a result of attention query.
>
> Hmmm well, I personally wouldn't care about it (since you can't know if
> the user noticed it anyways), but I'm rather indifferent on it. What's
> the opinion of others on this list about it?

IQ seems good to me.

There are all sorts of potentially complicating factors involved here
(multiple resources) but I think they are relatively minor. Much depends
on the use case. Your examples showed one user sending the attention
request in the context of an existing chat session. In that context you
know the other person's resource and you are sending to that one because
you want to other person to pay attention to the chat session. If you
want to shake/buzz/etc. all of the user's resources then a message
headline would be better.

And of course the XEP is just defining a payload format. A client could
send it either by message or by IQ. If you want to buzz one resource,
use IQ. If you want to buzz all resources, use message headline.

https://stpeter.im/