[Standards] NEW: XEP-0224 (Attention)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Aug 10 20:20:37 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Andreas Monitzer wrote:
>> On Aug 10, 2007, at 15:30, Sergei Golovan wrote:
>>
>>> I just want to get a result of attention query.
>> Hmmm well, I personally wouldn't care about it (since you can't know if
>> the user noticed it anyways), but I'm rather indifferent on it. What's
>> the opinion of others on this list about it?
>
> IQ seems good to me.
>
> There are all sorts of potentially complicating factors involved here
> (multiple resources) but I think they are relatively minor. Much depends
> on the use case. Your examples showed one user sending the attention
> request in the context of an existing chat session. In that context you
> know the other person's resource and you are sending to that one because
> you want to other person to pay attention to the chat session. If you
> want to shake/buzz/etc. all of the user's resources then a message
> headline would be better.

We discussed it a bit more in the jdev room:

http://www.jabber.org/muc-logs/jdev@conference.jabber.org/2007-08-10.html#13:06:39

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that this kind of
feature is a "throwaway" -- do you really need to receive a reply? You
just want to poke the other person. There's no need for a reliable
transport with fancy error messages and all that.

https://stpeter.im/