[Standards] NEW: XEP-0224 (Attention)

Andreas Monitzer jig at monitzer.com
Sat Aug 11 00:06:19 UTC 2007

On Aug 11, 2007, at 01:57, Sergei Golovan wrote:

> On 8/11/07, Andreas Monitzer <jig at monitzer.com> wrote:
>> Hmm would that be so bad? A headline window will surely draw more
>> attention than a regular message.
>
> How this separate window would associate with a chat thread?
> Especially if chat and headline messages are stored in different
> histories.

The message of the headline is not part of the discussion, and so
shouldn't be stored along the rest. There is no association.

> IQ has a fixed clear structure. Its parsing usually performed by one
> routine,

I don't know many XMPP implementations, but in libpurple, <message/>
is handled by a single function, whereas <iq/>-handling is spread
around the whole XMPP plugin (since nearly every feature uses an iq
stanza at some point).

> But it's not a big deal to process a message instead of IQ. What I
> want from any protocol detail is a feedback. XMPP would be much nicer
> if any stanza required an acknowledgement. For now, messages and
> presences are thrown without an acknowledgement (except for an ugly
> presence usage in XEP-0045 AFAIK). So, I'd like to use them as seldom
> as possible. Only if using message is unavoidable it may be used. (If
> I could, I'd use IQ even for a regular messaging.)

This sounds more like you have a general issue with the XMPP protocol
as such. This is outside the scope of my XEP, please discuss this on
this list on the topic of rfc3921bis.

andy