[Standards] MUC rooms on roster.

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Aug 13 13:02:44 UTC 2007

Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2007, at 1:38 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Oh, so this is for communities? I need to finish writing up our devcon
>> discussions on that topic. Will try to do that in the next few days.
>
> Yes.  N birds, one stone.

Soon.

>> But gosh "rotisiv" is such an ugly word. How about "ghost"?
>
> I don't mind "ghost".  But it would have to be the kind of ghost that
> can't hear what IRL people say, but *can* rattle chains that the humans
> can hear, but not see.

OK, a specialized kind of ghost then. :) At least ghosts can be
friendly. The other potential terms (e.g., lurker, stalker) sound
somewhat threatening. Though another possibility is "outsider".

So, to summarize, a ghost/outsider:

- Can see the presence of group members
- Can send messages to the whole group
- Is not seen as part of the group (no presence)
- Does not receive messages sent to the group

A few questions...

1. If an outsider sends a message to the group/room, what is the 'from'
address: the outsider's real JID or the outsider's room JID? Does the
outsider even get a room JID? If not, that would be different from how
all other messages are handled currently.

2. Does the list of outsiders need to be configurable by the group/room
administrator, or is that more of a service-wide policy? (For example,
anyone from a configurable list of domains can be an outsider, service
admins can be outsiders, etc.)

https://stpeter.im/