[Standards] MUC rooms on roster.

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 04:36:26 UTC 2007

On Aug 13, 2007, at 7:02 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> So, to summarize, a ghost/outsider:
>
> - Can see the presence of group members
> - Can send messages to the whole group
> - Is not seen as part of the group (no presence)
> - Does not receive messages sent to the group

Yes.

> A few questions...
>
> 1. If an outsider sends a message to the group/room, what is the
> 'from'
> address: the outsider's real JID or the outsider's room JID? Does the
> outsider even get a room JID? If not, that would be different from how
> all other messages are handled currently.

Oo.  Good question.  How about a non-anonymous message, from the
room's bare jid?  Messages from the bare room jid are often treated
differently by clients, but I bet it ends up being ok.

<message from='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit'>
   <x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user'>
     <item affiliation='none'
           jid='hag66 at shakespeare.lit/pda'
           role='outsider'/>
   </x>
</message>

> 2. Does the list of outsiders need to be configurable by the group/
> room
> administrator, or is that more of a service-wide policy? (For example,
> anyone from a configurable list of domains can be an outsider, service
> admins can be outsiders, etc.)

The outsider list needs to be configurable same as the member list.
Anything more complicated can be handled by room configuration
extensions provided by the server implementor.

If "Modifying the Member List", etc. were just XEP-50 commands, we'd
be done already... the server implementation could just add a new
command to modify the outsider list.