[Standards] XEP-0138: Stream Compression

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Aug 14 15:25:27 UTC 2007

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> While implementing stream compression I noted this in XEP-0138: Stream
> Compression;
> In http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0138.html#bizrules it says:
>
> o Negotiation of stream compression SHOULD be completed before
> authentication via SASL ...
>
> while in XEP-0170: Recommended Order of Stream Feature Negotiation
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0170.html#c2s-compress
> it says:
>
> Therefore the following order is RECOMMENDED: 0 TLS 1 SASL 2 Stream
> compression 3 Resource binding
> Any clues?

When we were discussing XEP-0170, we had consensus that it is best to do
SASL and then compression, since you should not compress before applying
an encryption layer (and SASL may involve negotiation of an encryption
layer). See here:

http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/jdev/2006-April/023599.html

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2006-January/009539.html

That consensus is reflected in XEP-0170, but it seems that we neglected
to update XEP-0138 accordingly. Therefore we'll issue an updated version
of XEP-0138 to correct the oversight (subject to Council approval).

https://stpeter.im/