[Standards] whiteboarding and shared editing

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 15 14:55:02 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 22:30 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> I see nothing artificial about trying to build a generalized approach
> that we can re-use for shared editing and real-time synchronization of a
> wide variety of XML formats, not just SVG.

I don't know if it's "artificial" or not, but "you should go back and
solve a much more general and more vaguely defined problem" is generally
a good way to kill a project.

A generic XML editor isn't going to know much about the semantics of the
document it is editing.  It's not necessarily going to be a good
framework for a whiteboarding application, any more than emacs is a good
foundation for Photoshop.  They both edit files, but...