[Standards] whiteboarding and shared editing

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Aug 15 16:30:14 UTC 2007

Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 22:30 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> I see nothing artificial about trying to build a generalized approach
>> that we can re-use for shared editing and real-time synchronization of a
>> wide variety of XML formats, not just SVG.
>
> I don't know if it's "artificial" or not, but "you should go back and
> solve a much more general and more vaguely defined problem" is generally
> a good way to kill a project.
>
> A generic XML editor isn't going to know much about the semantics of the
> document it is editing.  It's not necessarily going to be a good
> framework for a whiteboarding application, any more than emacs is a good
> foundation for Photoshop.  They both edit files, but...

I don't think anyone is arguing for a general *application* that would
do shared XML editing that would do whiteboarding, spreadsheets, word
processing, presentations, and everything else under the sun. But it
seems wasteful for us to define separate XML editing/syncronization
protocols for each application type, unless there really are special
considerations that make it is impossible to use the same underlying
technology for each. Which is what we're talking about taking some time
to explore...