[Standards] Group Name with Gateway Registration

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 17:31:00 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Ian Paterson wrote:
>> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>> http://svn.xmpp.org:18080/browse/XMPP/trunk/extensions/xep-0100.xml?%40diffMode=u&%40diffWrap=s&r1=1092&r2=1134&u=3&ignore=&k=
>>>

>>> TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/2dxv5j
>>>
>> That looks good, thanks :-)
>
> Super, I've added that to the agenda for the next Council meeting:

Since we're already making a couple changes to this XEP, can we consider
including a recommended fix for the issue below:

Currently the name of the group that contacts will be added to tends to
be hardcoded on the gateway. This causes problems if there are language
issues or, more typically, if the user has two accounts on a legacy
service (accessed via two instances of a gateway server) - in which case
the contacts will end up being mixed within the same group.

To solve this I'd suggest adding a new example (see [1] below) to
Section 7 "Contact Lists" that indicates how the client/user might
specify during registration a group name (see the "group" <field/>
below) that the gateway will use whenever it adds contacts to the user's
roster.

- Ian

[1] CLIENT SENDS:

<iq type='set' from='romeo at montague.net/orchard'