[Standards] Experimental XEPs (was: Re: whiteboarding and shared editing)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Aug 15 20:01:07 UTC 2007

Boyd Fletcher wrote:

> On 8/15/07 1:54 PM, "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
>
>> Dave Cridland wrote:
>>> as an
>>> experimental protocol,
>> Unlike the IETF, we don't have the concept of an "Experimental" spec.
>> The closest we come is Informational specs. More here:
>>
>> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0001.html#types
>>
>> We could always add another XEP type if needed, though.
>

> +1 for adding a new XEP type.

People are already confused enough by Informational and Historical XEPs.
I don't think a new Experimental type will help matters. In fact it will
just muddy the waters even further.

The XSF is a standards development organization. We're supposed to be
developing standards. If people want to publish the results of their
experiments on their own websites as input to the XSF's standards
development process, they are free to do so. But as far as I can see,
nothing in the XSF's mission or bylaws dictates that such experiments
deserve to be published by the XSF.

https://stpeter.im/