[Standards] whiteboarding and shared editing

Boyd Fletcher boyd.fletcher at je.jfcom.mil
Wed Aug 15 20:59:19 UTC 2007

On 8/15/07 4:12 PM, "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:

> Joonas got his approach working in Psi during the Summer of Code last year.

did that ever get published and included in Psi. I doesn't appear in the Mac
version.

> Ian has a working implementation of whiteboarding in Chatterbox.

cool.

> Mats has had a working implementation of whiteboarding in Coccinella for
> years now.

true but if memory serves its not SVG based.

> None of which is directly relevant to the standardization process. Do we
> publish them all as Informational specs and let the market decide? That
> is not standardization, that is an abdication of standardization.
>
> Peter

the market drives many of the standards today and that isn't necessarily a
bad thing since customers are buying the companies' products so the
companies have a good understanding of the wants and needs of the users.
However, that being said it is also good to have some independence from the
market. But developing standards that aren't viable for people too implement
doesn't do anyone any good. So we need to have a careful balance.

I think it would be good for the community for Mats and Ian to document what
they have done so that the four implementations can be compared. That is how
they do it in the W3 and they are pretty successful at publishing usable
standards.

boyd