[Standards] whiteboarding and shared editing

Mats Bengtsson matben at privat.utfors.se
Thu Aug 16 06:54:10 UTC 2007

Peter wrote:
> Greg Hudson wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't know if it's "artificial" or not, but "you should go back and
>> > solve a much more general and more vaguely defined problem" is generally
>> > a good way to kill a project.
>> >
>> > A generic XML editor isn't going to know much about the semantics of the
>> > document it is editing.  It's not necessarily going to be a good
>> > framework for a whiteboarding application, any more than emacs is a good
>> > foundation for Photoshop.  They both edit files, but...
>
> I don't think anyone is arguing for a general *application* that would
> do shared XML editing that would do whiteboarding, spreadsheets, word
> processing, presentations, and everything else under the sun. But it
> seems wasteful for us to define separate XML editing/syncronization
> protocols for each application type, unless there really are special
> considerations that make it is impossible to use the same underlying
> technology for each. Which is what we're talking about taking some time
> to explore...

If someone takes time and look into http://coccinella.im/memo/sync
they will see that it is completely generic and general. There is nothing specific
to whiteboarding and it could be used in any context where the basic assumptions
are valid.

However, the basic assumptions imply that we haven't dealt with editing parts
of CHDATA or parts of attributes, but elements are treated as entities.

Mats