[Standards] Group Name with Gateway Registration

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 10:03:16 UTC 2007

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Currently the name of the group that contacts will be added to tends
> to be hardcoded on the gateway. This causes problems if there are
> language issues or, more typically, if the user has two accounts on a
> legacy service (accessed via two instances of a gateway server) - in
> which case the contacts will end up being mixed within the same group.
>
> To solve this I'd suggest adding a new example (see [1] below) to
> Section 7 "Contact Lists" that indicates how the client/user might
> specify during registration a group name (see the "group" <field/>
> below) that the gateway will use whenever it adds contacts to the
> user's roster.

Someone mentioned offlist that some legacy services now support groups,
and that some gateways now use these group names (instead of a single
hardcoded group).

So it may be useful for the client to be able to indicate a
prefix/suffix for all group names, instead of a single prefered group
name. (A zero length prefix/suffix would be equivalent to no change to
the group names at all.) I'd suggest a second additional field like the
one in the examples below.

- Ian

SERVER SENDS:
.
.
.
  <field type='list-single' label='Group Name Modification'
var='groupmodify'>
    <option label='Prefix'>
      <value>prefix</value>
    </option>
    <option label='Suffix'>
      <value>suffix</value>
    </option>
    <option label='Fixed'>
      <value>fixed</value>
    </option>
  </field>
  <field type='text-single' label='Group Name' var='group'>
    <value/>
  </field>
.
.