[Standards] Jingle: UDP relays

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Aug 16 15:30:08 UTC 2007

Unnikrishnan V wrote:
>  what about thoughts for using :
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0128.html

XEP-0030 (augmented by XEP-0128) is for discovery of entities that can
communicate over an XMPP network. But many (most?) of the entities you
are talking about are not on the XMPP network (e.g., STUN, TURN, and
RSIP servers). Basically what you want is that your XMPP server will be
a "discovery proxy" to the wider world of services that do not
communicate via XMPP. So your XMPP server would do all the hard work of
discovering what services are offered in the world (via DNS SRV, DDDS,
NAPTR, etc.), and you could query your XMPP server about those non-XMPP
services. This could be done by querying a special node at your XMPP
server, where you would find a tree of non-XMPP services. Your XMPP
server could include XEP-0128 extensions in the data it returns for
those services. That seems like a reasonable approach. But as I said I'm
still researching SRV/DDDS/NAPTR etc. to see what kind of information
might be returned. I'll report more about that soon.

https://stpeter.im/