[Standards] whiteboarding and shared editing

Joonas Govenius joonas.govenius at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 17:44:58 UTC 2007

On 8/16/07, Bishop, Michael W. CONTR J9C880 <Michael.Bishop at je.jfcom.mil> wrote:
> While reading some of the discussions on this topic in the list, I
> realized that our protocol shares some of the same characteristics.
> While it was designed specifically for whiteboarding using SVG as a
> medium, the protocol itself does not deal with SVG.  The manipulation of
> the SVG document can be applied to any XML in any namespace.  While it's
> been written as a whiteboard protocol, nothing forces it to be one.  It
> would work as-is as a shared XML document protocol with permissions,
> history, current state, and presentation.

Right. Probably the biggest difference between the two proposed
approaches is the reliance on server-side support.
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/whiteboard2.html requires
server-side support while sxde tries to allow sessions 1-to-1 and in
MUC rooms and includes the possibility of specific server-side support
merely as an optional enchancement to lessen some of the requirements
on the clients.