[Standards] whiteboarding and shared editing

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Aug 16 20:46:01 UTC 2007

Joonas Govenius wrote:
> On 8/16/07, Bishop, Michael W. CONTR J9C880 <Michael.Bishop at je.jfcom.mil> wrote:
>>> Right. Probably the biggest difference between the two proposed
>> approaches is the reliance on server-side
>>> support.
>>> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/whiteboard2.html requires
>> server-side support while sxde tries to
>>> allow sessions 1-to-1 and in MUC rooms and includes the possibility of
>> specific server-side support merely
>>> as an optional enchancement to lessen some of the requirements on the
>> clients.
>>
>> Just to clarify, server-side support is needed for MUC rooms only; not
>> for 1-to-1 sessions.
>
> Oh. Do you have any documentation or description of how the documents
> are kept identical in 1-to-1 sessions without the server as an
> arbitrator?

Yes, that would be helpful. As far as I can see, we would like the
standardized protocol to support 1-to-1 mode without any intermediary.
For example, this would be useful when running a whiteboarding session
over a link-local connection (XEP-0174), or in situations where a MUC
service or dedicated whiteboarding component is not available or not
trusted to relay the relevant stanzas.

Thanks!