[Standards] "storage:*" namespaces

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Aug 17 15:50:41 UTC 2007

The "storage:*" namespaces are ugly and wrong. IMHO we should get rid of
them, and replace them with things like "urn:xmpp:storage:bookmarks". At
the same time we could upgrade the relevant specs (or replacement specs)
to Standards Track.

The following specs use "storage:*" namespaces:

XEP-0008: IQ-Based Avatars
          http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0008.html
          state: Historical / Deferred

XEP-0048: Bookmark Storage
          http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0048.html
          state: Historical / Active

XEP-0145: Annotations
          http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0145.html
          state: Historical / Active

XEP-0151: Virtual Presence
          http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0151.html
          state: Standards Track / Experimental

XEP-0173: Pubsub Subscription Storage
          http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0173.html
          state: Historical / Deferred

XEP-0209: Metacontacts
          http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0209.html
          state: Standards Track / Experimental

I propose that we write new specs to replace XEP-0048 and XEP-0145, and
specify that the payloads can be stored in iq:private or pubsub (i.e.,
using XEP-0223). XEP-0209 could be updated in place. XEP-0008 should be
deprecated once XEP-0084 advances to Draft. And XEP-0151 is due to be
Deferred anyway.

Objections?

/psa