[Standards] Comment to rfc3921 pt 11.1 : handling of messages to ressources with identical priorities

cJ zougloub at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 16:30:50 UTC 2007

Hi, I am wondering why the RFC (3921, 11.1) specifies "If two or more available resources have the same priority, the server MAY use some other rule (e.g., most recent connect time, most recent activity time, or highest availability as determined by some hierarchy of <show/> values) to choose between them or MAY deliver the message to all such resources."

I think the second option can be used to have collective jids (an account used by multiples users) and force messages to get to multiple destinations and doesn't remove functionnality, without adding much complexity to the processing of messages.
What are the reasons to not make the second option "deliver the message to all such resources" THE ONLY way of handling such messages ?
If broadcasting messages is not the standard, I think informing the user of the processing done by his xmpp server (the "some other rule") is very important.

Thank you for your answers,

--
cJ