[Standards] Comment to rfc3921 pt 11.1 : handling of messages to ressources with identical priorities

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 20:56:14 UTC 2007

On Aug 17, 2007, at 11:28 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Some XMPP servers like to be "smart". I'd be open to saying that the
> server SHOULD deliver to all resources, but leave the door open for
> other behavior by saying that the server MAY use some algorithm to
> determine which single resource to deliver to.

I still believe that coming home to find a message ("hey!") which I
have already replied to while I was at work would be confusing at
best, and harmful at worst.  Imagine: "sell 50 shares!".

If there was a protocol for notifying your other resources that a
particular message had been handled somewhere else (or some other
solution), then I could get behind this more.

I often find that the people that want what the SIP folks call
"forking" are either using a client that doesn't set priority to 0 on
auto-away, are running multiple resources and haven't configured
their priorities in any interesting way, or have a server that
doesn't make a good guess on priority ties.

--
Joe Hildebrand