[Standards] Comment to rfc3921 pt 11.1 : handling of messages to ressources with identical priorities

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Tue Aug 21 11:15:31 UTC 2007

> I still believe that coming home to find a message ("hey!") which I
> have already replied to while I was at work would be confusing at
> best, and harmful at worst.  Imagine: "sell 50 shares!".

When 2 resources are logged in with the same priority, it's probably a
lot worse to just let the server pick one, because it will pick the
wrong one in 50% of the cases. I would recommend delivering to both.
This also solves the problem with clients that use server-generated
resource names, when they lose the connection to the server and
reconnect without the server detecting that the original client was
gone. This last issue should be solved using acking, but it doesn't
seem we're getting reliable connections any time soon, so delivering
to all clients with the same prio would at least not make you lose any
messages.

cheers,
Remko