[Standards] whiteboarding and shared editing

Emanuele Aina faina.mail at tiscali.it
Mon Aug 20 19:42:44 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre desiderò:

>> Oh. Do you have any documentation or description of how the documents
>> are kept identical in 1-to-1 sessions without the server as an
>> arbitrator?
>
> Yes, that would be helpful. As far as I can see, we would like the
> standardized protocol to support 1-to-1 mode without any intermediary.
> For example, this would be useful when running a whiteboarding session
> over a link-local connection (XEP-0174), or in situations where a MUC
> service or dedicated whiteboarding component is not available or not
> trusted to relay the relevant stanzas.

I tend to think that in the link-local case the most interesting case is
the multiple user one (imagine doing that at a conference or in a office).

Maybe it could even be done electing a peer as arbitrator, but if it is
really distributed it would be a lot better (no election, no arbitrator
going away).

I know that the Abiword people have something similar in AbiCollab
running over DBus tunnelled in XMMP, so it may be useful to look at
their conflict resolution algorithm and their way to send changes.

--
Buongiorno.
Complimenti per l'ottima scelta.