[Standards] Comment to rfc3921 pt 11.1 : handling of messages to ressources with identical priorities

Robin Redeker elmex at x-paste.de
Fri Aug 24 08:35:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 04:44:38PM -0600, Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2007, at 1:16 AM, Robin Redeker wrote:
> >Will that algorithm be a 100% solution?
>
> There is no such thing.  But it works really well in the real world,
> with real customers, in real deployments.  As well, please make sure
> that you read the thread that started with JD's priority discussion
> here: http://urltea.com/1av0; this is a problem more for client
> developers and sysadmins configuring branding files than for end-users.

This is a cornercase that must be handled in a sane way in servers IMO.
That thread is interesting but doesn't solve the issue of two resources
having the same priority. As far as I understood it was about priority
dances in clients and such. You say sysadmins should configure it, are
there configuration variables that enable 'sane' handling of same
priority resources?

And yes, I'm sure that heuristics and weird algorithms usually work
in the real world out there, but if they don't users probably won't
know what to do or what it could be.

I actually mostly care about sane and _clear_ and simple semantics for
handling cornercases. It clearly defined what users, developers and
admins can expect in such cases.