[Standards] whiteboarding and shared editing

Bishop, Michael W. CONTR J9C880 Michael.Bishop at je.jfcom.mil
Fri Aug 24 20:36:09 UTC 2007

Sorry this took awhile for me to get back to.

In one-to-one sessions, we don't have synchronization.  I thought we might, so I did double check.  We've done extensive testing in all kinds of environments including those with limited bandwidth and haven't had it arise as an issue.

We also spent some time looking over the SXDE documentation again and the proof associated with it.  How are conflicts presented to the user?  If we both edit the same element at the same time, how is the user informed?  How does the client know what to assign to the element?  In short, how is this problem resolved with respects to UI and user feedback?

One thing I'm not clear on, how does your document synchronize when two elements are added at once?  Given an arbitrary parent element, what happens if I (User A) add Element A and send it to User B?  At the same time, User B adds Element B and sends it to User A?  The following could occur:

User A:  <parent><A/><B/></parent>
User B:  <parent><B/><A/></parent>

I guess you can hope the z attribute is different, but is it guaranteed?

How are the issues implemented from a user perspective?  Do you have a working implementation to look at?

Michael Bishop