[Standards] Comment to rfc3921 pt 11.1 : handling of messages to ressources with identical priorities

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 24 16:33:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 09:34 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
[Quoting Joe Hildebrand:]
> > I still believe that coming home to find a message ("hey!") which I have
> > already replied to while I was at work would be confusing at best, and
> > harmful at worst.  Imagine: "sell 50 shares!".

At MIT we have a legacy chat system which always delivers to all
connected clients (has no concept of priority).  In 15 years of usage,
I've never heard of a single case of anyone getting confused this way.

> I'm curious: how frequent are priority ties anyway?

I'm a little puzzled by how this part of this thread went.  When I last
poked around, it looked like almost all XMPP clients were always setting
priority to 0 unless the user took specific action, so priority ties
were almost exactly as frequent as multiple resources.