[Standards] "storage:*" namespaces

Jonathan Chayce Dickinson chayce.za at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 11:04:19 UTC 2007

I kinda like the *:*:*:*... namespaces. jabber:* and storage:* are
really exclusive to Jabber, and even if they are not any responsible
developer should Google a new namespace first anyway: name clashes, not
an issue. And they are short, concise, and *very* easy to remember.

The only real way I see them being used is that the URI ones are
self-describing, i.e. they refer to the XEP itself, which is nice,
because some newbie developer can pick up up an XML document and
instantly find the documentation. However, the *:*:*:*... namespaces
describe functionality straight away, e.g. jabber:client and
jabber:server, what could be more descriptive than that?

And changing the namespaces will break a lot of existing code. Badly
written code (like magic strings) which is unfortunately quite abundant
will require changes in more that one class/module/whatever.

So no, sorry, doesn't look like we can ditch the *:*:*:*... namespaces.
Too much depends on it.

--
jonathan chayce dickinson
ruby/c# developer