[Standards] Comment to rfc3921 pt 11.1 : handling of messages to ressources with identical priorities

Tomasz Sterna tomek at xiaoka.com
Mon Aug 27 17:00:27 UTC 2007

Dnia 27-08-2007, Pn o godzinie 10:03 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre
napisał(a):
> > Sally: Help.  [multicasted to all 3]
>
> <message from='sally at example.org/foo'
>          to='contact at example.com'
>          type='chat'>
> </message>
>
> NOTE: This is directed to the bare JID because Sally doesn't have any
> context about which resource will reply. In this case, yes it is
> encouraged to send to the bare JID, not the full JID. And yes, the
> message is multicasted to all 3 of the contact team's resources.
>
> > Joe: Please describe your problem.  [to Sally]
>
> <message from='contact at example.com/joe'
>          to='sally at example.org/foo'
>          type='chat'>
> </message>
>
> NOTE: Joe sends from his full JID (stamped by his server) to Sally's
> full JID (previously stamped by Sally's server). Now they are in a "chat
> session" and will send to/from full JIDs the whole time. So this message
> is NOT multicasted to all 3 of Sally's resources -- it is delivered ONLY
> to her "foo" resource.

IIRC exactly _this_ chatwindow to resource binding was discouraged.
Could clients developers take voice here? I do remember snoring, that
they would need to ditch the resource to window binding code.

Is this behavior described in any RFC/XEP?

> > Sally: I cannot do XXX.  [multicasted to all 3]
>
> <message from='sally at example.org/foo'
>          to='contact at example.com/joe'
>          type='chat'>
> </message>
>
> NOTE: This is NOT multicasted to all 3 of the contact team's resources,
> instead it is delivered ONLY to Joe (the "joe" resource).
>
> > Jeff: Hi Sally. Please describe your problem.  [to Sally]

And this? OK. It comes from /jeff resource. But shows where?

In the window labeled "contact at example.com" (or any petname Sally had
given to this rosteritem) opened for Joe? These will be mixed with /joe
messages?

In a separate window? How should it be named? Two windows of
"contact at example.com"?
And if so, this would break functionality for normal users changing
resources. Every time I would switch /work to /mobile, the conversation
that is going with me to /mobile would appear in a separate window at my
contacts PC. Not nice.

> > Sally: I already did it.  [multicasted to all 3]
> > Joe: Oh fine. So we're done here?  [to Sally]
> > Jeff: When?  [to Sally]
> > Sally: ??? confused
>
> As described above, there is no confusion.

I think there still is.

--
Tomasz Sterna
Xiaoka.com  http://www.xiaoka.com/