[Standards] file transfer

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Tue Aug 28 08:39:39 UTC 2007

> I digress, but... you cannot surf and call on GPRS at the same time,
> generally.  This is why if someone calls a GSM phone while you are
Just to correct you here but they wont goto voicemail (if you are
connected to WAP using a dial up method maybe), but you can definitely
be downloading via GPRS/3G/HSDPA and still make and receive calls, i've
done it myself.

Ive been reading this thread with interest and while I must agree with
most of the comments about Jonathan's suggestion expressed here it has
stirred up some simple ideas of my own related to file transfer.

automatic file pre-compression
-----
It would be handy to be able to automatically compress files before they
are transferred and then be able to specify this in the SI negotiation
allowing the receiving client to then automatically decompress the file
once it has received it, this could greatly help with the size of file
transfers and would also only need to be done for file types that would
benefit from it, i.e. you wouldn't bother with files that were already
compressed or things like audio and video files that are likely to only
get marginal gains.

jingle bytestream
-----
When we come to implement file transfer using jingle I would suggest
that rather than creating a brand new backwards incompatible file
transfer protocol that we simply implement a new jingle bytestream
transport just like XEP-0047 and XEP-0065 which would allow complete
compatibility with the SI negotiation but still gets all the benefits a
file transfer over jingle UDP would bring, i.e. better likelihood of
connection.

Richard