[Standards] shared editing requirements - moderation? (games?)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Aug 28 02:18:57 UTC 2007

Adam Nemeth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just thinking about rules of a collaborative session. In fact, a
> strategy game, like chess is a collaborative session on a certain
> model, (positions of white and black figures), which are edited
> turn-based, but you can't cheat: I mean, you can't step with a horse
> in diagonal, nor you can pass in a chess-state situation. Therefore a
> game master is added for such situations (same applies for basicly all
> games, even videogames).
>
> But gaming and "shared editing" are only two edge cases of a
> collaborative session.

s/edge cases/instances/

> As a researcher I've seen many collaborative
> things - like on a large multitouch-screen - and a moderator is
> usually required to ensure certain 'model world' conditions are met.
>
> Examples could be gravitation in some 3d environment, which aren't for
> everybody.
>
> So, could this be generalized a bit?

Probably:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/xcon-charter.html

;-)

> What do you think?

I think we should abstract only as far as it is reasonable to do so. I'm
not deeply familiar with the enforcement of model world conditions in
various scenarios, but I see less commonality there than in the basic
synchronization of XML for various editing applications.

> (I'd really appreciate comments from onlinegaming (chesspark) folks too)

Me too.

/psa