[Standards] file transfer

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Tue Aug 28 19:31:55 UTC 2007

> No, it would work the other way around -- it enables you to re-use your
> existing SOCK5 and IBB code, but for the negotiation you'd use Jingle
> instead of SI.

Ah I see, I thought so, I was suggesting doing things the other way
around which would be far more backwards compatible as you wouldnt need
to implement two separate ways of initiating file transfers which allows
you to reuse not just the SOCKS5 and IBB code but also the SI and file
transfer initiation code and you are just adding an extra stream-method
which makes things much simpler, certainly for me it would make
implementing it 100x simpler as my SI/file transfer code is all
abstracted out and all I would need to do was implement a jingle
bytestream stream-method, not redo all the file transfer discovery,
offering, acceptance etc etc which makes things very much more complicated.

Richard