[Standards] file transfer

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Aug 28 21:26:58 UTC 2007

I sense some confusion...

Robin Redeker wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 09:21:43PM +0100, Richard Dobson wrote:
>> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> [.snip.]
>>> I understand. But SI and Jingle essentially perform the same functions,
>>> since they both enable negotiation.
>> Yes but jingle also provides access to ICE and pseudo-tcp so it would be
>> helpful rather than have the entire file transfer negotiation using just
>> jingle if it was separated in two so that all the jingle side is doing
>> is negotiating a generic bytestream that can be then reused by things
>> like SI, to me this seems like a sensible compromise as there is no real
>> benefit that I can see of doing the whole thing in jingle as its just
>> duplicating effort, whereas creating a new bytestream method is
>> complimentory, anyone else think its a good idea?

It's unclear exactly what you mean. You want a Jingle method as one
option in stream initiation, like this?

<iq type='set' id='offer1' to='receiver at jabber.org/resource'>
  <si xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/si'
      id='a0'
      mime-type='text/plain'
      profile='http://jabber.org/protocol/si/profile/file-transfer'>
    <file xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/si/profile/file-transfer'
          name='test.txt'
          size='1022'/>
    <feature xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/feature-neg'>
      <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='form'>
        <field var='stream-method' type='list-single'>
          <option>
            <value>urn:xmpp:jingle</value>
          </option>
        </field>
      </x>
    </feature>
  </si>
</iq>

And then you do a Jingle negotiation to figure out how to proceed?

> I generally thought that reimplementing all that with jingle is a bad
> idea. And I as client/library author surely don't like the idea of
> duplicating code or functinality.
>
> I agree completly with you.

See earlier list discussion. We had rough consensus that in the long
term client developers didn't want both SI and Jingle as negotiation
mechanisms -- that it would be easier to have just one approach.

https://stpeter.im/