[Standards] Shared Whiteboard Editing

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Tue Aug 28 23:48:58 UTC 2007

> I'm not too hot on Jingle, so I will leave that to you. However, I
> did have an idea for shared whiteboard editing (or any file for
> that matter).

*snip*  Interesting low-cost idea.  My main concern would be that
while this seems great for something like low-impact shared editing
(see SubEthaEdit, for instance), I imagine traditional whiteboarding
might be more of a problem.

The reason is that people tend to expect simultaneous updates on
whiteboards.  For instance, if I am drawing on one corner of the
whiteboard, and you draw in another area, we each (and anyone else in
the whiteboard session) should see those things drawing out
simultaneously, or nearly so.

This design seems very useful in a general case, but strikes me as
probably generating more traffic than an optimized whiteboard drawing
protocol.