[Standards] rfc3921bis: self-presence

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Aug 29 16:43:31 UTC 2007

The old "xmppbis" page [1] had the following note:

***

It is unnecessary, potentially confusing, and not recommended to add
your own JID to your roster. However, RFC 3921 currently does not talk
about how a server should handle such "self roster items" if they exist.
The spec should probably specify that a server MUST NOT send presence
probes to self roster items, since the server already knows that the
entity is online once it receives initial presence from a specific
resource. Thus a resource should never receive presence information
about itself from its own server, although it will receive presence
information about other available resources for that entity as currently
specified in RFC 3921.

***

This conflates two issues: (1) adding yourself to your roster and (2)
receiving presence from your "self" resource.

IIRC we had list consensus that (1) is something we want to discourage.

But (2) seems OK. When you send presence to your server, your server
delivers that presence to all of your available resources. Consider a
user with two resources ("foo" and "bar") who then comes online with a
third resource ("baz").

<presence from='user at example.com/baz'/>

[ ... to "foo" resource ... ]

<presence from='user at example.com/baz'
          to='user at example.com'/>

[ ... to "bar" resource ... ]

<presence from='user at example.com/baz'
          to='user at example.com'/>

[ ... to "baz" resource ... ]

<presence from='user at example.com/baz'
          to='user at example.com'/>

Is it harmful for the "baz" resource to receive its self-presence? I
don't see a particular reason why the server needs to avoid sending
that. Would it confuse the client?

/psa

[1] http://www.xmpp.org/xmppbis.html