[Standards] rfc3921bis: self-presence

Mickael Remond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Wed Aug 29 18:20:31 UTC 2007

Hello,

------- Message original -------
De: Remko Tronçon <remko at el-tramo.be>
Envoyé: 29.8.'07,  19:06

> > Maybe the server could only send a client's presence back to him if it
> > has changed since the server last sent it?
>
> I don't get the point. Why complicate things if the current behavior
> (i.e. send presence back to all resources, no exception) is easier for
> both the server *and* the client?

It is easy for both client and server. The only thing is that it somewhat add a synchronous semantic. In the past you never get any packet on presence send.
With the proposed changed you get a reply.
In some sense it can be good as it is some kind of ack, but it will be use for different things you can be sure (roundtrip mesurements, substitute to server pings).

That said I do not have strong opinion regarding this change except that we need to know what is the recommended way for XMPP compliancy.

--
Mickael Rémond