[Standards] message type='headline'

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Aug 29 22:22:57 UTC 2007

Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> As an aside to the discussion on priority ties, I think it would be cool
> for us to have a defined mechanism for sending messages to all online
> (non-negative priority) resources.  Message type='headline' has never
> been fully exploited, nor terribly well-described, and I propose that we
> co-opt it for this purpose.
>
> The existing usage for headline messages is derived from a one-liner in
> XEP-160, but I believe that the original intent was that headlines are
> for transient notification.  If they were specified in 3921bis like this:

> Messages with type headline addressed to a bare JID SHOULD be delivered
> to all online resources that have not specified a negative presence
> priority.  Messages of type headline SHOULD NOT be stored by the server
> for later delivery.
>
> Then I think we get some cool new functionality without breaking anything.

+1. This is consistent with the fact that many servers already do not
store headlines offline.

In the I-D, this text needs to be split into two places under "Server
Rules for Processing XML Stanzas" (specifically under Section 8.3 "Bare
JID at Local Domain"), as follows...

***

8.3.1.  Available Resources

   If there is at least one available resource, how the stanza shall be
   processed depends on the stanza type.

8.3.1.1.  Message

   For a message stanza of type "headline", the server SHOULD deliver
   the stanza to all available resources.

***

AND...

***

8.3.2.  No Available Resources

   If there are no available resources associated with the user, how the
   stanza shall be processed depends on the stanza type.

8.3.2.1.  Message

   For a message stanza of type "headline", the server SHOULD NOT store
   the stanza on behalf of the user and deliver it when the user next
   becomes available, but instead SHOULD either forward the stanza to
   the user via a non-XMPP messaging system (e.g., to the user's email
   account) or return a <service-unavailable/> stanza error to the
   sender.

***

https://stpeter.im/