[Standards] XEP-0138 vs. TLS compression

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 22:52:09 UTC 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 7:00 AM, Fletcher, Boyd C. CIV US USJFCOM JFL
J9935 wrote:

> Speaking of compression, I think we should consider adding the w3's
> efficient xml interchange (exi) support to xep-138. The testing
> results I've seen for EXI indicate that in many circumstances it is
> quite a bit better than zlib or tls compression. In addition to
> better b/w utilization use of exi within the xmpp router could
> potentially lead to dramatically improved scalability as binary xml
> is far more efficient to process.

You should write a XEP, then, that defines the compression method
name, a pointer to the relevant W3C doc, and the XMPP Registrar
Considerations that asks the registrar to add it to the list of
compression methods.

Off-topic: are there any open source implementations of EXI yet?

--
Joe Hildebrand