[Standards] Shared Editing

Jonathan Chayce Dickinson chayce.za at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 22:56:59 UTC 2007

Joonas Govenius wrote:
> On 8/29/07, Jonathan Chayce Dickinson <chayce.za at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 3DM references each element in an XPath style fashion:
>>
>> "/0/5/1/2"
>>
>> Which equates to:
>>
>> 0
>>   0
>>   1
>>   2
>>   3
>>   4
>>   5
>>    0
>>    1
>>     0
>>     1
>>     2 *
>>
>> Merging an insert at "/0/3/1" yields:
>>
>> 0
>>   1
>>   2
>>   3
>>    0
>>    1 *
>>   3
^Edit should be 4
>>   5
>>   6
>>    0
>>    1
>>     0
>>     1
>>     2 *
>>
>> Or in other words, the original one will become: "0/6/1/2".
>>

> Right, we could do that. It's just another way of refering to the
> elements. I just think it's easier to require each element to have a
> unique id so we don't need to adjust references to elements like that
> when simultaneous changes are made.

The problem is that by using LUIDs is that you can't merge the diffs.
*If* you can sort out the concurrency issues using another method, LUIDs
are better than indexing: they are simpler and probably faster. But I
just can't scratch my brain for getting it to work with LUIDs.

> Joonas

Regards,
  Jonathan Dickinson

--