[Standards] Shared Editing

Joonas Govenius joonas.govenius at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 23:28:28 UTC 2007

On 8/29/07, Jonathan Chayce Dickinson <chayce.za at gmail.com> wrote:
> Joonas Govenius wrote:
> >
> > Right, we could do that. It's just another way of refering to the
> > elements. I just think it's easier to require each element to have a
> > unique id so we don't need to adjust references to elements like that
> > when simultaneous changes are made.
>
> The problem is that by using LUIDs is that you can't merge the diffs.
> *If* you can sort out the concurrency issues using another method, LUIDs
> are better than indexing: they are simpler and probably faster. But I
> just can't scratch my brain for getting it to work with LUIDs.

The problems can be solved by giving each node a "weight" (which I
currently call the Z value) according to which the child nodes of a
given element are arranged. The remaining problem is how to you store
the GUID and the "weight". You can store them as attributes in the
case of elements but what about text nodes? Suggestions on that would
be greatly appreciated.

Joonas