[Standards] message type='headline'

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Thu Aug 30 07:04:29 UTC 2007

Hello,

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 04:22:57PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> > As an aside to the discussion on priority ties, I think it would be cool
> > for us to have a defined mechanism for sending messages to all online
> > (non-negative priority) resources.  Message type='headline' has never
> > been fully exploited, nor terribly well-described, and I propose that we
> > co-opt it for this purpose.
> >
> > The existing usage for headline messages is derived from a one-liner in
> > XEP-160, but I believe that the original intent was that headlines are
> > for transient notification.  If they were specified in 3921bis like this:

> > Messages with type headline addressed to a bare JID SHOULD be delivered
> > to all online resources that have not specified a negative presence
> > priority.  Messages of type headline SHOULD NOT be stored by the server
> > for later delivery.
> >
> > Then I think we get some cool new functionality without breaking anything.
>
> +1. This is consistent with the fact that many servers already do not
> store headlines offline.

Would adding another message type break anything? I do not want to read
all news twice because I left one client running at work and one at
home. Shouldn't clients treat new message type as normal messages, as
they do not know them?

--
All flame and insults will go to /dev/null (if they fit)

Michal 'vorner' Vaner