[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0215 (External Service Discovery)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Aug 30 16:47:06 UTC 2007

Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2007, at 8:32 PM, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
>
>> Abstract: This document specifies an XMPP protocol extension for
>> discovering services external to the XMPP network.
>
> A couple of comments.
>
> - Should there be a "name" attribute, so that if a client wants to do
> something generic with these, there's something to show?  The client
> specifies an xml:lang in their request, so the server can choose the
> right language for the response.

Right, that emulates XEP-0030.

(Per earlier discussion I started looking into re-using XEP-0030 for
this, but it was difficult to force external services into the internal
data model with JID instead of host+port etc.)

> - If you make these requests to a remote server, for whatever reason,
> you SHOULD send a directed presence to that server first.  If the
> receiving server does not have presence information for a given
> requester session, it MUST NOT push updates to that requester session.

Correct.

> If the pushes turn out to work ok in real life, I think we should think
> about adding them to disco...

We might also want to add queries for selected services to disco...

<iq type='get'
    from='romeo at montague.net/orchard'
    to='directory.shakespeare.lit'
    id='items1'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'
         category='conference'
         type='muc'/>
</iq>

Or somesuch (perhaps enclosing a data form would be less destructive).

https://stpeter.im/