[Standards] Comments about XEP-0115 v.1.5pre5 (SVN)

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Thu Aug 30 21:26:57 UTC 2007

>>> Personally I think the client version information should be
>>> carried in the disco#info using XEP-0128 using a new special
>>> FORM_TYPE (maybe even reusing using jabber:iq:version and using
>>> its elements as the xdata field names).
>
> Or it could be split out as a separate attribute.
>
>   <c xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/caps'
>      node='http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/'
>      ver='8RovUdtOmiAjzj+xI7SK5BCw3A8='
>      v='0.9.1'/>
>
> Where the v attribute SHOULD be included.

So, we ripped the version out, reused the ver tag as a hash of the
nodeless disco query results, then have decided you can no longer
query on that (since the hash may change as features are added/
removed, and so the hash is not necessarily a valid disco node)...
and now we are putting the version back into caps, albeit in a
different attribute.

To me, this begs the question of why we do not simply:

   <c xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/caps'
      node='http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/'
      ver='0.9.1'
      hash='8RovUdtOmiAjzj+xI7SK5BCw3A8=' algo='sha1'/>

In the new version, the 'ver' option would be /optional/; if present,
you do still need to present your base options to legacy clients, but
will continue to interoperate with legacy clients fine, and -- for
newer ones -- will have not only the nice hash for verification, but
the version for display purposes.  :)