[Standards] Loopback Authentication

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Thu Feb 1 16:59:07 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
>> Yes, that sounds reasonable. On the other hand, we could extend this XEP
>> to mention other avenues of identity verification as the SASL part is
>> mostly the same. I'd hate to see different uses of the authorization
>> identity, for example.
>
> I'd be happy to incorporate other scenarios into XEP-0178 once we figure
> out what those are. :-)

I don't think we need them there. EXTERNAL is already fully defined by
RFC 4422. So XEP-0178 is not that much about EXTERNAL, but about how to
map/verify certificate identities to valid authorization identites.

This is something bound to TLS + EXTERNAL. I don't think that other ways
of using EXTERNAL could reuse that much definitons, that are already
present in XEP-0178.

If there is another usage of EXTERNAL, that needs as much thought as TLS
+ EXTERNAL, I'd prefere that we create an additional XEP. But for the
other use-cases of EXTERNAL we had already in this thread, I don't think
this is necessary.

Tot kijk
     Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56