[Standards] Domain & JID Aliasing

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Thu Feb 1 19:27:42 UTC 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

> This brings up a few problems though:
> 1 - If a user subscribes to my presence as
> "cmullins at coversant.net", and I send him a message, what "From"
> address do I stamp on it? Do I use the original address that he
> subscribed to? It seems like I should. This means a server would
> need to keep track of the "alias" that was subscribed to, so that
> outgoing packets to that endpoint can have the proper from address.

I would argue that most of these are entirely up to the server to
determine; the most you could XEP of it would be a "best practices"
guideline document.  Managing what the outgoing address is,
determining the 'master' account to send from, and so on, are all
really something the server can do without needing input from the
client or remote systems.

They're useful, no question, but they're server-internal functionality.

> 3 - Would we want to tickle the subscription management flow to
> specify a "change address" field? That is, perhaps I'm subscribed
> to "stpeter at jabber.org" as "cmullins at coversanet.net". It would be
> nice to send "<change newAddress='chrismullins at coversant.com'/> or
> a packet to that affect.

THIS is the one exception.  This, if there was a way to do it
securely, would be WONDERFUL.  Not so much as a way to handle aliases
as, rather, a way to say "This account is outdated, I'm moving
addresses."  Sort of like a postal change-of-address form.  There's
obviously potential for abuse (hijacking of contacts) if it's not
implemented properly, but I think this is the one bit really worth
XEP'ing separately. :)

Trillian Messenger - http://www.trillian.cc/