[Standards] Domain & JID Aliasing

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Thu Feb 1 19:36:56 UTC 2007

Hi Chris!

(You posted this in a thread about SASL EXTERNAL. Any reason or just by
accident?)

Chris Mullins schrieb:
> Many email systems provide aliasing both of domain names, and user accounts.
>
> For example, via email, I can be reached at:
> cmullins at coversant.net
> cmullins at coversant.com
> chris.mullins at coversant.net
> chris.mullins at coversant.com
>
> We're getting to the point in XMPP land where we need this same capability. For example, I currently give out "cmullins at coversant.net" as my XMPP address, but would prefer to give out "cmullins at coversant.com". I don't want two separate accounts, so domain aliasing is the obvious answer.

Yes, I also have to agree, that I already got often asked for that
feature by users.

> This brings up a few problems though:
> 1 - If a user subscribes to my presence as "cmullins at coversant.net", and I send him a message, what "From" address do I stamp on it? Do I use the original address that he subscribed to? It seems like I should. This means a server would need to keep track of the "alias" that was subscribed to, so that outgoing packets to that endpoint can have the proper from address.

I see problems with this because of addresses at other places than the
stanza addresses. To be able to update all JIDs that are contained
inside a stanza, the server would have to know all protocols a client
would use to know which has to be changed.

Yes, changing the account addres is interesting as well.

> 4 - should there be a way for a client to "see" it's aliases? Right now, my email client can't do that (Outlook 2007), and it seems un-needed for an XMPP client as well.

In E-Mail we have only messages. They certainly do not know all
addresses. With <iq/s> I think the client would have to know all its
aliases. Well not only the aliases, but also which contact is expecting
to see the user with which aliasas.

Maybe it would be easier to not implement full aliasing, but use
redirecting if an alias is used?

gets back a redirect to cmullins at coversant.com. So we would limit the
aliases to be pure redirecters and a user would still have only one real
JID.

And we would have to define a second (new) protocol to change the
address of a user. (E.g. if the main domain of your company changes - or
for private accounts if you are changing the server you are using.) So
that you could update all subscriptions for cmullins at coversant.com to be
for cmullins at newcompanyname.com.

Tot kijk
     Matthias

(Sorry for broken link-breaks in the quoted parts, but they have already
been present in the original mail, as format=flowed is missing in the
original content-type.)

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56