[Standards] Domain & JID Aliasing

Tim Brennan tim at zimbra.com
Thu Feb 1 20:07:33 UTC 2007

I might be missing something, but it isn't clear to me how to solve this "within the server."  I'm playing catchup a bit on the XMPP game, so there could very well be some spec that addressed this.

As an example, I have two email addresses: "tim at zimbra.com" and "tim.brennan at zimbra.com" -- and just like with email, I really expect people on to be able to add me as a buddy using both addresses, even people connecting from other services.  My "real" account is tim at zimbra.com.

Imagine I get a subscribe request from foo at jabber.org for tim.brennan at zimbra.com?  I want to accept this (send a subscribed response).  Do I:

   -- return a subscribed response with the from="tim at zimbra.com"?  Is the client expected to handle that seamlessly (the from of the subscribed packet doesn't match the to of the request?).  This would seem to conflict with rfc, since the external client (or the server on their behalf) has already done an iq:set with the jid=tim.brennan at ....and spec says to ignore the subscribed message if the contact isn't already in your roster with the correct state (which it won't be in this case)

OR

   -- return a subscribed response with the from="tim.brennan at zimbra.com", and now for everyone I talk to, track the address they "think" I'm using, and always set my From: appropriately whenever I send that client a message.

I suspect I'm missing something here: please enlighten me.

--tim