[Standards] Domain & JID Aliasing

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Thu Feb 1 20:23:02 UTC 2007

> As an example, I have two email addresses: "tim at zimbra.com" and
> "tim.brennan at zimbra.com" -- and just like with email, I really
> expect people on to be able to add me as a buddy using both
> addresses, even people connecting from other services.  My "real"
> account is tim at zimbra.com.
>
> Imagine I get a subscribe request from foo at jabber.org for
> tim.brennan at zimbra.com?  I want to accept this (send a subscribed
> response).  Do I:
>
>    -- return a subscribed response with the from="tim at zimbra.com"?
> Is the client expected to handle that seamlessly (the from of the
> subscribed packet doesn't match the to of the request?).  This
> would seem to conflict with rfc, since the external client (or the
> server on their behalf) has already done an iq:set with the
> jid=tim.brennan at ....and spec says to ignore the subscribed message
> if the contact isn't already in your roster with the correct state
> (which it won't be in this case)
>
> OR
>
>    -- return a subscribed response with the
> from="tim.brennan at zimbra.com", and now for everyone I talk to,
> track the address they "think" I'm using, and always set my From:
> appropriately whenever I send that client a message.

My theory is that, as I said, this is up to the server.

to tim.brennan at zimbra.com.  Your server knows that I've made this
request -- it has to, after all -- and so when you send an
'approved,' it would be up to the server to send back an approval
that matches the address I subscribed to.  Similarly, since the
server has your outgoing subscriptions (again, it has to, to know who
to send your presence data to!), AND is responsible for sending on
the message stanzas, the server has all the information necessary to
know if a <message/> should have a from of 'tim at zimbra.com' or
'tim.brennan at zimbra.com' for a given end-point.

It's already up to the server to forward the subscription approval
back, after all.  And servers already have to track login and JID
separately -- some servers have you authenticate against an LDAP
login, but show your JID as something entirely different.  So the
server has the information needed to alias a user to multiple JIDs.
Further, all the re-mapping between alias and login happens at either
the origin (for outgoing) or end-point (for incoming) server; there
doesn't need to be a communication standard for this, because it's
entirely internal to a given server.

And really, the server is the /only/ thing that has all the
information necessary; for clients to handle this, you'd need to
define several new XEPs to map aliases to remote contacts, and then
rely on clients actually supporting those.  Which seems less likely
to lead to any sort of adoption.

That's my take, anyway. :)

Trillian Messenger - http://www.trillian.cc/