[Standards] Simple Jingle example(s) and spec(s) wanted

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Sat Feb 3 18:06:38 UTC 2007

Hi,

I think it would be good for Jingle's popularity to have clarifying
example(s) and at least one easy-to-implement description format and
transport specification. Due to the lack of an example encompassing
the complete flow of a Jingle session and an easy-to-implement (yet
maybe not very effective) transport, there is no way to get
*something* implemented in a decent amount of time, which is very
demotivating (at least for me). For example, it would be great if
there was a description format for file transfers, and a SOCKS5
transport spec to transfer the files over. Correct me if i'm wrong,
but this sounds like the easiest Jingle session to implement, and as
such allow people to implement the framework of Jingle support in
their application fast, without having to bother with the low-level
details of transports (and even worse, multimedia implementations).

As for the clarifying example, I would like to know how the following
use case goes (in terms of XML stanzas sent and received, and actions
performed by both clients):
- Client A wants to send a file to Client B, and supports SOCKS5 and
Raw UDP. Client A is NATed (with a port forward), and as such has both
a local IP and a global IP through which it is reachable.
- Client B only supports SOCKS5, and is outside of Client A's local network.
This flow would already clarify a lot (at least it would for me). An
extension of this example would be where Client A supports 3 transport
methods, and Client B doesn't support one of the 3, and is unable to
reach Client A using one of the 2 remaining.

Thoughts?

cheers,
Remko