[Standards] Simple Jingle example(s) and spec(s) wanted

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 20:59:14 UTC 2007

On 2/3/07, Matt Tucker <matt at jivesoftware.com> wrote:
> Focusing on file transfer as a way to get initial Jingle support in clients is a great idea. ICE-based transfers would be the current way to work around firewall issues, but it's not a very simple approach for initial implementations (we've seen this same problem on the audio side). Simple UDP and TCP proxy specifications for Jingle would go a long way towards solving that problem.

Hi Matt,

I know it's not the topic at hand, but it's related: libjingle 0.4.0
was released this past week, with support for Google Talk's file
transfer protocol (which does use ICE). I intend to write a XEP up to
describe the protocol, and submit it as a Jingle content type for
review Monday or early next week.

>From an implementation standpoint, file transfer over ICE tends to be
much simpler than audio over ICE, but I totally agree that ICE is
really complicated for just an example. A file transfer content type
coupled with a simple TCP transport would make an ideal one.

-s.