[Standards] Simple Jingle example(s) and spec(s) wanted

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Sun Feb 4 06:35:04 UTC 2007

Sean,

> I know it's not the topic at hand, but it's related:
> libjingle 0.4.0 was released this past week, with support for
> Google Talk's file transfer protocol (which does use ICE). I
> intend to write a XEP up to describe the protocol, and submit
> it as a Jingle content type for review Monday or early next week.

That's great news.

> >From an implementation standpoint, file transfer over ICE tends to be
> much simpler than audio over ICE, but I totally agree that
> ICE is really complicated for just an example. A file
> transfer content type coupled with a simple TCP transport
> would make an ideal one.

So, if a simple Jingle proxy system was defined as an alternative to
ICE, would Google support it? For example, say I'm using a client
connected to acme.com and am chatting with a user at gmail.com. I
initiate a file transfer with the gtalk user, but my client only knows
about the (hypothetical) SOCKS-5 transport defined for Jingle and not
ICE. Would the Google client be modified to support this case assuming
the protocols get defined?

Regards,
Matt