[Standards] Simple Jingle example(s) and spec(s) wanted

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Feb 5 18:29:16 UTC 2007

Sean Egan wrote:
> On 2/3/07, Matt Tucker <matt at jivesoftware.com> wrote:
>> Focusing on file transfer as a way to get initial Jingle support in
>> clients is a great idea. ICE-based transfers would be the current way
>> to work around firewall issues, but it's not a very simple approach
>> for initial implementations (we've seen this same problem on the audio
>> side). Simple UDP and TCP proxy specifications for Jingle would go a
>> long way towards solving that problem.
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> I know it's not the topic at hand, but it's related: libjingle 0.4.0
> was released this past week, with support for Google Talk's file
> transfer protocol (which does use ICE). I intend to write a XEP up to
> describe the protocol, and submit it as a Jingle content type for
> review Monday or early next week.
>
>> From an implementation standpoint, file transfer over ICE tends to be
> much simpler than audio over ICE, but I totally agree that ICE is
> really complicated for just an example. A file transfer content type
> coupled with a simple TCP transport would make an ideal one.

Sure. More examples are always welcome. After all, our mantra is "We put
the example in example.com." :-)

I agree that ICE is complex, but so is the problem of NAT traversal. My
discussions with various people in the VoIP and media space indicate
that we really can't avoid using ICE to get things done. That's probably
why projects such as Telepathy and FreeSWITCH are building their own
(open-source) ICE libraries.

XMPP Standards Foundation